The Royal Institute of Philosophy seeks an assistant to the editors of Philosophy.
Hours: 6-7 hours p/week
Salary: £15 - £20 per hour depending on experience
Location: While the work will be done remotely, the ideal post holder will live in London and be able to meet with the editors regularly, normally fortnightly and, when needed, weekly.
The main duties of the post include:
- Copy editing, including proofreading (this will be a significant aspect of the job)
- Dealing with enquiries to the journal; managing the inbox; responding to enquiries; logging submissions and maintaining the accuracy of database information through ScholarOne.
- Administrative processing of articles and reviews; including distributing new submissions to the editors; managing ongoing correspondence between the editors, special issue editors, authors and reviewers; and tracking submissions, resubmissions, proofs and corrections, again through ScholarOne
- Liaising with the Cambridge University Press team concerning all production matters.
- Helping organise, attend and keep records at editorial meetings.
Philosophy is published quarterly by Cambridge University Press and sent to all members of the Royal Institute. It has over two and a half thousand individual and library subscribers across the world. It is a general philosophy journal publishing articles, discussions and book reviews across the range of the subject including aesthetics, ethics, social philosophy, epistemology, metaphysics, philosophy of mind and of action, philosophy of science, and the history of philosophy.
The work would suit a philosophy postgraduate student, who might hold the position while completing a PhD, or a recent postdoc. To apply, email a cv and a short statement outlining relevant skills and experience to James Garvey, firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 15 August. Interviews will be held shortly thereafter.