Welcome to the Royal Institute of Philosophy (TRIP). We are devoted to creating, sharing and enabling philosophical thinking. We empower the curious of every age and background to think more deeply about fundamental questions. We encourage a better understanding of our world and our place in it, for personal good and for the good of the society we live in.
We are looking for a Finance Director who is able to offer a contracted support to the Institute, working an average of 7 hours a week, to ensure the financial frameworks that deliver robust financial planning, budgeting, reporting and recommendations are received in a timely fashion by the Managing Director, Senior Team and Executive Committee.
- Managing the organisation’s annual budget setting cycle – to develop budget proposals and work with the Managing Director and Officers to finalise and introduce the budget.
- Ensuring robust management of the organisation’s financial performance against plan, including regular use of forecasts and the efficient use of funds.
- Ensure maintenance of all financial records and ensure effective financial procedures and controls reflect all legal and charity commission requirements.
- Creation and maintenance of finance related policies.
- Leading on appointing auditors and then liaising with them to deliver a timely annual audit.
- Management of TRIP’s restricted funds.
- Management of TRIP’s investment programme, working closely with investment advisors to produce timely and informative reports for approval and decision making by appropriate committees and individual stakeholders.
- Manage the staff payroll, pension scheme and production of year end returns to HMRC.
- Deliver VAT registration obligations and maintain records for HMRC.
- Act as prime contact for TRIP bank accounts and maintain management of such.
- Negotiation of contracts and partner discussions to deliver positive outcomes to TRIP
- Ad hoc analysis/ process improvements to create efficiencies within the team and organisation.
- Ensuring all relevant stakeholders are provided with the financial information in a timely manner and insight they need and are supported to use it effectively.
- Represent the organisation in the external environment to enhance the organisations reputation and influence.
- A full professional accounting qualification.
- A track record in operational finance, including financial management, financial planning and the interpretation of complex financial information.
- Track record of leading, managing and coaching staff.
- Highly numerical, bringing business acumen and creativity to the Institute.
- Able to formulate, produce and explain complex financial reports.
- Highly developed problem solving, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills.
- Able to take an innovative approach to the design, implementation, and management of financial management.
- Strong Excel skills to demonstrate working with complex financial models and reports.
- Excellent communications skills both written and verbal, able to present to a range of audiences in an engaging style
Terms & Conditions
- The role is offered on a self employed contracted role to be invoiced at £400 per day
- The role is offered with flexible working but must be within commutable distance of London for occasional face to face meetings.
- The role will normally involve 7 hours a week. However, some weeks will require fewer, and some more – the role comes with an expectation that should more hours be required, flexibility is available to respond to demand.
- The role of a part time Finance Officer reports to this role.
|Excellent verbal and written communication skills|||
|Demonstrable interest in and familiarity with the discipline of Philosophy|||
|Demonstrable understanding of how best to present often complex information to others|||
|Strong attention to detail and ability to understand complex briefs|||
|Solution focused and innovative|||
|Broad knowledge and experience of charity law and charity commission guidance|||
|Expert knowledge of book keeping and financial accounts|||
|Broad Commercial skills to advise on contract law|||
|Competent user of Microsoft Office suite|||
|5 years proven track record in finance management|||
|Experience in finance management within a charity or institutional setting|||
|Experience in the preparation, monitoring and reporting of budget and financial management information|||
|Experience of developing financial forecasting|||
|Experience in processing Gift Aid claims|||
To apply for the role, please forward your CV and a covering letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) to Melanie Nightingale, Managing Director at M.Nightingale@RoyalinstitututePhilosophy.org
For an informal conversation about the role, please contact Melanie Nightingale at the above email address.
When submitting your application will you please include details of 2 referees, both of whom should be requested to send their reference directly to Melanie Nightingale at the above address.
Closing date: 9.00am Monday 3rd April 2023.
Interviews to be arranged from Monday 10th April 2023.